Your challenge this week is to design a top-down card for Tesla. Make sure to look to the skeleton page to see if there are any openings, or any cards you think could be replaced by a more flavorful design. When designing top-down cards for Tesla, remember that it is based on Kaladesh, which means we are aiming for three major sources of inspiration:
- Steampunk fiction. Note that Kaladesh does not use steam for its inventions, but instead aether canisters. Still, ideas like flying ships, sky pirates, lightbulbs, and more are all fair game!
- Dystopian fiction. We are emphasizing the brutal regime that the Counsel have enforced on Kaladesh, and how they hunt down mages and oppress the empire with their monopoly on artifice. Drawing inspiration from existing dystopian fiction, and making references, is a great idea. Think 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Soylent Green, Anthem, and so on and forth.
- Progress and development. This is more an 'experience' than an actual top-down idea, but we want cards that capture the feeling of progress, and growth, and improvement. Cards like Woodborn Behemoth, Forced Adaptation, and the Slith are great examples.
- The region and history of India. This one is the lightest theme, but we can definitely draw inspiration from their wildlife, including tigers, elephants, cobras, and so on. We also feature three nonhuman races inspired by India - the Tigrala (tigerfolk), Naga, Vanara, and any other ideas you can convince us of!
In addition, if you want to give yourself extra challenge, here are four ways you can earn bonus points:
- Design a common. We need all the commons we can get, and the more top-down designs we have at common, the better! However, not all top-down ideas can be common, so keep that in mind.
- Design a card that doesn't use a set mechanic. Cards featuring set mechanics can often get by on their own, and while it's nice to have them also be top-down, it's not necessary.
- Design an elegant and simple card. Many top-down designs initially end up clunky and complicated in attempting to capture the intricacies of their flavor inspiration. One specific way to know if you're on the right track here is to design a card that wouldn't be red-flagged, and you've likely hit this bonus point!
Best of luck with this design challenge! I eagerly look forward to your guys' suggestions and submissions!