Wednesday, July 18, 2018

CCDD 071818—Loquacious Sphinx

Cool Card Design of the Day
Here's another.

I really wanted a Sphinx that helped you cast multiple spells. It was tricky waking the line between Snapcaster Mage and Torrential Gearhulk.

Notably, despite not being able to counter spells, this is more dangerous than Gearhulk, because sorceries have a higher power bound than instants; I mitigated that by only grabbing spells from your graveyard, meaning you either already had the mana to cast them once or you spent resources milling yourself.

Also, Sphinx could get multiple spells over multiple turns, but could also just die to removal, where Gearhulk always gets you one. This is probably rare at five mana, and mythic at four.

7 comments:

  1. Is this more fun with either lower power, or a (cmc=P) restriction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A CMC restriction helps prevent abuse, which is net-fun. It does make a fairly text card a bit textier and also implies some kind of downside, which mythics try to avoid. Totally works for a rare version.

      4/4 is already fairly small for a sphinx; could be 3/3 or 3/5. Very context dependent.

      Delete
  2. I like it and I like Sphinxes (Sphinges?) that have attack/block triggers. I think it's a cool approach to Sphinx design that WotC has been using lately (Azor, Windreader Sphinx).

    What tweaks would this need to use "Whenever a Sphinx you control attacks" instead?

    Also I'd say this is rare at 6 mana and mythic at 5. I would be scared of ever printing this at 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Triggering on all your Sphinxes both increases the number of free spells you'll get, and means you can get some the same turn you cast it. That's a hell of an upgrade. Ironically, my main concern is that you'll run out of fuel too fast.

      Delete
    2. Right, I was thinking that it might not really increase the number of spells you get since you're not really likely to have played that many spells AND that many Sphinx cards.

      Delete
  3. Well, Raff failed to break the game despite allowing you to flash in a small number of powerful sorceries/enchants so I don't think the sphinx is too dangerous at base. (I really, really thought Raff decks were going to be a thing. They lasted about a week before people realized they didn't really need him.)

    I personally think it's maybe too cheap though. I'd add 1 or even 2 to the mana cost. I'm thinking of how powerful and game-ending it could be in a limited environment. That's okay for a mythic. If they're not bombs in limited that's a disaster. But I think six mana just kind of feels right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six mana is likely better. I honestly went with 5 just to make it less Torrential Gearhulk.

      Delete