Friday, November 9, 2018

CCDD 110918—Bad Jerks

Cool Card Design of the Day
This creature's main purpose is to act like an unreliable Rootwalla or Hungry Spriggan; You can't always count on yours being able to grow, and I can't always predict whether it will or not.

I like that you know whether this can pump or not and I don't, but you can't always afford or manage to pump it. I don't love that it effectively loots, but tying the looting directly to land makes me wonder if that can be a green style of looting. Rooting. Heh. I don't want it to cost you a card to use, and I much prefer how it's not random so much as inconsistent (compared with the execution on the right).

7 comments:

  1. This is a funny engine with Life From the Loam. Approve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally approve of rooting as a new mechanical, green-focused facet of looting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this in theory, but incentivizing discarding lands on turn 4 is probably going to create some avoidable unfun games. See Prophesy, Odyssey, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, sometimes you need your lands and this will feel bad. In blue or red a looter that incentives looting sounds great though. Especially for some newer players you don't recognize the value of looting.

      Delete
  4. Hm, what about revealing a card from your hand instead?

    It has about the same issues with land cards as 'rooting' has (disincentivise playing lands), but reads a lot cleaner I think.

    Could also reveal other card types, akin to Silvergill Adept

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd just reveal the same card every round.
      You could do it with permanent-reveal.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I realised later that repeatedly revealing the same card was probably the issue you were trying to avoid by rooting. Permanent-reveal would be a nice thing to have in Magic, but there doesn't seem to be an elegant way that isn't keywording it (face-up exile seems closest, but you still have to be able to cast it, which makes it super wordy)

      Delete