Friday, March 27, 2020

CCDD 032720 - Read the Ancient Scrolls


Here's a common meant to show off a mechanic. This time around the model is Divination.




I'm not sure whether I'm happy with Lore yet. The idea is that flavor-wise it represents learning from past experiences. Normally that kind of thing would check the entire graveyard but I wanted something that would play differently, even at some flavor cost. Where it is now, it plays like a cross between Morbid and... something that triggers on casting instant and sorcery spells, I guess. (Prowess? Surge? Spell mastery?) Overall it's a little harder to trigger than Morbid was, but the conditions are more flexible-- including some support for a self-mill theme. Maybe that's good, or maybe it's just meh.

What I'm happier with here is the combination of effects. "Draw three, discard one" is tamer than Secrets of the Golden City but not by very much, and though it's a strict upgrade to draw-two I've never seen it used as one before.

1 comment:

  1. I guess lore is only in blue? Always using the "2 cards whent into your graveyard" template?

    I have a feeling that it is a bit of a trap for low level players, making them keep cards in hand to try and use them when the opportunity is present. I would need to playtest to be convinced otherwise.

    ReplyDelete