Monday, April 27, 2020

CCDD 042720 - Cabalistic Teachings

I designed this card before the Companions got spoiled, but in some ways it's trying to fill a role similar to theirs. I'll let you decide whether that's a good or a bad thing.





The main idea here is the first ability, which is designed for cool build-arounds that might be required for a deck to function. On their own they aren't worth a card, and 4-of in a deck doesn't give enough chances to draw one, so they come with a built-in way to dig for a copy-- at a price. Less game-warping than a Companion... probably?

The second ability, now that I look at it carefully, is probably busted if you have a deck built around 4-plus copies of it. So there's that.

4 comments:

  1. The below may sound like a really dumb question; I'm hoping to learn more about a certain kind of player I don't see that often in my play circle.

    The kind of player that would really like this card -- what would they like so much about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a dumb question at all!

      I think the main appeal is that it does things no other card does, which opens up interesting directions for deck-building.

      Delete
    2. Got it! So there's kind of a "hey, I've never built THIS engine before..." kinda feel to it?

      Delete
    3. It's got some significant spike appeal, both in the self tutoring consistency department, and in the later card draw engine. I could see this being brutal in an environment with cycling

      Delete