Thursday, February 27, 2020

CCDD 022720 - Villainous Monologue

I forget whether this was originally a Vorthos design or a Mel design. Both aspects of it are pretty goofy. Which do you think works better?




As much as I like the concept, I'm not sure this would actually play well. Much like Desperate Ravings it gives you cards and then takes one of them away-- maybe even a card you already had! This one is even worse because it usually takes away your best card.

People tend to be loss-averse-- we dislike losing things more than we like getting things-- so many players may shy away from casting this. Dedicated Spikes might enjoy the risk/reward dynamic, but they'll also notice that the "draw 2 bad cards" effect is pretty lackluster for a 2-mana multicolor sorcery.

5 comments:

  1. This is just not enough reward, maybe deal 2 damage also or a random discard on the opponent. Or you reveal the three cards drawn and discard one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is bellow fact or fiction, which is good. I think it is both a good design and a good cost for it I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This rules. I could see it just requiring you to reveal your hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would probably be ok. Perhaps costed less agressivelly then?

      Delete
    2. Yes, definitely. I could see 5 CMC or 4 CMC at rare.

      Delete